Thursday, November 3, 2011

Refrigerator Stories: The Mystery of the Black Grapes


My husband lay sprawled on the couch watching some sports program while I played on the computer in the office next door.

"Do we have any fruit?" He called out.

"Yes."   I replied.

"Where is it?"

"In the fridge."

I heard him get up,  walk across to the kitchen and open the fridge.

"Where?"

"In the fruit drawer."

"Which one is that?"

"There are only two drawers."

"Oh." 

I heard the sound of drawers being pulled open while he investigated the possibilities.

"What is this?'

I could only imagine what foreign object held his attention:  oranges, apples or grapes.  "What is what?"

"This."  He said, holding a bag of grapes for my perusal.

"Those are called grapes."   I explained patiently.

"No, they're black."

"So?"

"I mean, why are they black?"

I hesitated.  "Because they are…black…grapes."

"I've never seen black grapes before."

I stared at him in disbelief.  "You ate them in the chicken salad yesterday!  Do you not remember that?"

"Oh, uh, well…I just don't remember them being black."

I returned my attention to the computer.

"Are they seedless?"

Sigh…

No comments:

Post a Comment